He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beth Moore Live from Chicago!

596 Host Sites
46 States
27 Churches in Canada
11 Countries
5 Military Bases
1 College 
125,000 attendees!

I have been through several Beth Moore Bible studies. Starting with Daniel, Esther, and finally Breaking Free. If you were to ask me if I could have lunch with any one person in the world, who would it be? My answer would fire back at you: Beth Moore! So, in April or so this year at one of our studies, several ladies were discussing getting tickets to see her LIVE in Chicago this September. It seemed like such a long time away, but I wanted to go so desperately. Our family took a lengthy vacation throughout the summer, and I had felt like a ticket was too extravagant at this time. I got home to discover the event was sold out anyway. I felt like that was my answer, I really didn't need to go, I just really wanted to! 

Fast forward two nights ago, we had been out all day long. I checked my emails and there was a message to our entire Bible study group saying someone had an extra ticket for free! Time sent.. an HOUR ago! My fingers couldn't type fast enough on my phone. I sent a random message to someone I didn't even know, something like "Probably too late, but I'd absolutely love to go!" I waited for a whole 5 or 10 min (that seemed like an endless eternity) for a message back. A sweet woman named Colleen emailed me back with the simple words, "Kara, you are the winner!!! Call me asap!" (Insert my screams for joy here)
Life can sometimes get frustrating with relationships, families can get testy, sometimes you just need a break. I love my family dearly, but this was one of those days I needed to get out and do something to "build myself up." (see my notes below)  With God, there are no coincidences! I was going for a reason. 
Early the next morning as I drove, I had a great time in prayer. Praying for my family, for my parents, and finally for Beth. She ministers to so many women 24/7 with her passion for them and their lives. I was left wondering, "Who is her Beth Moore?" I prayed that God would speak through her, give her wisdom, and help her lead all of our weary-eyed selves in worship and in truth.

I met that sweet angel, Colleen, at the front of the venue. She greeted me with a huge smile and told me she'd been praying that this ticket would go to the right person. Immediately I felt unworthy, because after all, who feels worthy enough to accept something that is such a blessing to you? We small talked, we had both lived in Washington State, giggled a little and walked into a sea of women. Mostly all smiles from ear to ear as we found our church's saved isles. Another angel from our church, Naomi, had arrived there since early morning to save all of these for us women! Last minute a few women plopped themselves down and said, "no saving seats" and the only woman to not get to sit with our group of 30+ women, was none other than...Naomi! She waved sweetly as she went to find another seat. I was heartbroken for someone I didn't even know who had gone out of their way to make this event extra special for all of us.

THE EVENT! Our worship team was Travis Cottrell and team. From the moment the music started, tears were streaming down my face as I raised my hands in the air worshiping the Lord and singing praises to Him. Beth Moore (I was secretly screaming inside) came out and warmly greeted us and began to teach us about the 8 Tastes of Kindness. I will share some of my notes with you. Grab your Bible, follow along, and enjoy this time!
Our memory verse: Proverbs 31:26 "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness." The word law is interpreted "Torat-hesed" meaning Torah. The law or instruction given to them. 
Why? 
A. We live in a mean world! It only seems to get worse. Not only from natural disasters, but by man as well. People are becoming increasingly wicked, mean and self centered.(read II Timothy 3 - We live in perilous times)
B. Because, "she opens her mouth." We are always teaching and publishing. We are mothers, teachers, bloggers, facebookers, texters, emailers... which leads us to.. We do not have an editor to help guide us before we throw something out into the world. Authors have editors, we just create noise as we sometimes don't think about what we say when we publish. (read Luke 6:45 Out of the overlow, the heart speaks)


8 Tastes of Kindness (we should have on our tongue before we speak)

1. Kindness is not weakness! It is a strength. We show ourselves to be "sons (daughters) of the Most High God. Everyone has someone in their life that is hard to be kind to. They are ungrateful or mean, but we are called to show our kindness. We represent the "Most High" as sons and daughters. (read Luke 6:35-36 Love your enemies; Psalm 141:5 Kindness can speak a hard word, in a kind way.)
We want to be Kind. Not "Nice."  The word "Nice" originally meant - foolish, stupid, ignorant, incapable.

2. Kindness is not an action, it's a disposition. Kind (Greek word, chrestos) meaning profitable, fit, good for any use, useful toward others, good  natured. Kindness (Greek word, chrestotes) meaning one of the qualities of the Fruit of the Spirit. It is grace which pervades the whole nature. Descriptive of one's disposition. (read Proverbs 11:16)
It cannot be faked. You can fake "nice," you cannot fake "kind." 
3. Kindness wears down when we do! We can name a million things that wear us down. Resentment, jealousy, hatred, out of control in relationships. (read II Timothy 2:24) When we are worn down, we need to be built up again!
Daniel 7:25 - He (the evil one) shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time. We need to be built up, be transparent with someone that is of the Lord. (read Ephesians 4: 12, 16, 29 speaks about being built up)
Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Easy interprets as "chrestos" or... KIND!

4. Kindness looks pain in the face! Titus 3:4 "But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy." Kindness here being that word again, "chrestotes," and the word love being the Greek word, "philanthropia" (love of humanity). The word appeared being from the word "epiphaina" or, epiphany. He came as the incarnate epiphany of the love of God!



5. Kindness is a Savior! The expression of Joy! Own it, He gave this life, grace and love to you for nothing. (read Ephesians 2:4-10)

6. Kindness has good memory! God has been good to us. He has been kind. Remember, we cannot be yoked up in kindness without Him.
I want to walk with You, I want to freely go. Even when we let go, He still hangs on to us!

7. Kindness craves an outlet! We want an opportunity to show kindness. I will pray I have time to often do this in someone's life. We wear a lot of yokes sometimes that are not meant for us. We get caught up in so much. We forget that only God has that yoke of kindness. We get worn down!

8. Kindness leaves a legacy! Acts 28:1-2 The previous chapter talks about Paul sailing from Rome. They shipwrecked and this was the end result.
vs. 1-2. "Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold." 
The Houston Chronicle just ran an article about Charitable Giving. Malta's people are ranked at 83% of their citizens that give. They have created a legacy from these early times.
If we can raise Christian children that turn out "kind" in a mean world, it is because of our cries for wisdom!


LPL Simulcast Chicago from Rich Kalonick on Vimeo.

No comments: