He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Consider it Pure Joy?

How can you "Count it all Joy" when you've been wronged? Or when someone in your family is wrongfully accused? It hurts! It makes you mad. I was so frustrated last night as I talked with my oldest about rumors girls had spread that weren't true. Girls can be mean. I wanted to scream and yell, I wanted someone to really pay for what they had done.

Then reality hit. I am trying to lead and teach a young woman how to be a woman of God. I am the one responsible for her learning of the truth. The words that God gave us to depend on, I have to be the one to pass on to her. So, taking a deep breath, and a few hugs later,  I reminded her what we had talked about this very thing before she started high school. There will be people for you, and people against you. Sometimes, the ones against you will try to make it harder. And, well, last night she experienced that for the umpteenth time. 
This time, it really hurt. It was personal. 

Remember when God said, "Vengeance is mine?" 

Romans 12:19 - 
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord. 

If we take our own revenge, I think we are not fully trusting in God and what His Word says. It's not easy to just let go, and not feel the hurt, but when we're reminded of His promises, it makes it a lot easier. Then, when you ask Jesus to help give you peace about it, it really works! That's where your faith comes in. Faith in Him to get you through, to give you the mindset to let things just roll off your shoulders. (at least a little easier)

James 1:2-6 -
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

This is hard to take in. It's hard being a girl in this modern day, and fending off the damage others are trying so hard to create. My heart broke as I sent her to bed in tears..at midnight. These girls (and boys) really need our prayers.

We also need to explain to our girls, that the world can't carry them through. That it comes from within. This personal relationship we have with Jesus, is the only thing that will carry us through. This is the truth.  


I am proud of her, she stood up, talked to the "powers that be" at the school, and is trying to sort things through. She had a horrible day, her phone got stolen on top of everything that was going on, but she stood strong. She will be okay. We are not raising girls that wither in the face of adversity, but that can speak courageously in the midst of it. 


We found out some names of the girls. And, instead of looking for revenge (because that's not our job), we will pray for them. We read a book when she was in jr. high I will totally recommend. It's called "Mean Girls" by Hayley DiMarco.

It talks about the importance of knowing our place in this world. When God puts someone like this in our life, we wonder why? Why us? Why HER? Well, God wants us to pray for them. Maybe there is nobody else that will come in contact with her that will. And, who needs prayer the most? The person that needs Jesus the most. This is an excellent read.



Now, I'm not saying our girls are perfect, but they are being molded...trained. 

Isaiah 64:8 -  
Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; 
We are all the work of your hand.

With God's grace and help, we can raise amazing "Graceful Pillars", women of faith! Women who raise their families for the Lord, and who pick godly men to marry to help lead them.

Isaiah 43:2 -
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers,
   they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
   the flames will not set you ablaze.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mom ;)

Christi said...

Isn't it difficult to teach our children to pray through the storm, when we just want to grab the offenders by the hair?!? Sounds like you are raising beautiful women of God, kudos to both Mom and Daughter.

In And Around Garfield Ridge said...

Sound like quite the day for you. I know for a fact that your daughter will be fine. I know the type of parent you are and your support is stronger than the hate of others. Send her over for a visit, I am sure the girls have LOTS to catch up on!

Courtney said...

My heart aches for you and your daughter! I have two little girls (3 and 2) and am already talking weekly to my husband about how worried I am for them as they get older. Thanks for recommending that book! I may have to buy it and store it away for that terrible day when I actually have to learn how to help my kids deal with all of that.